8.02.2006

To Croc or not to Croc -or- Are Crocs a Crock?

Two pairs of these currently live at my house. Neither of them are mine. I just can't see myself wearing them anywhere in public. They seem sweaty and hot, then stinky. Besides being rather UGLY. Mrs. ThatOneGuy tried to buy me a pair around father's day, but I was having none of it.

Time to call in the foot experts and expose the things for the frauds they are. Except -- surprise -- that turns out to be more difficult than you might imagine.

It seems these ugly things are the darlings of the podiatric world as well, with doctors actually stocking them in their own offices for sale.

Harold Glickman, chief of podiatric surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital, praises Crocs for their ample toe room, deep and supportive heel cup and secure rear strap. Their loose fit, he said, means no pressure points or rubbing spots, and their nonporous material gives them antibacterial properties that makes them "a huge asset to those susceptible to infection -- those with diabetic ulcerations, wounds or poor circulation."

read the article here.

The fact remains that they is SOME KIND OF UGLY!!!

3 comments:

Sarah Bellum said...

you won't find a pair in my closet.

Anonymous said...

Although you raise a good point, you clearly haven't seen the 'Hello Kitty' version of the pink crocs on a little 5-year-old girl. Keep an open mind, BJ.

Scott Hinrichs said...

Not in my closet either. I know we've tried to move toward a unisex society, so this is going to sound somewhat sexist. The guy in me simply couldn't think of putting a pair of these on. I don't know -- they seem, uh, feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that). Not to mention the sweaty, stinky feature you mentioned.