7.05.2006

How Are You Defined, Part Deux

So, this is my 180th post... fun stuff...anyway...

Quite some time ago, I wrote about how we as individuals are defined by what we do, or how we impact the lives of people around us. I noted something similar here in the blog belonging to a friend of mine. And in some light reading between brain tumors today, I've noticed a lot of entries surrounding the Fourth of July, some more irreverent than others. Then I came across this list: 15 People Who Make America Great.

While I may or may not agree with all the choices, there are some people here, who, after reading their story, have made America great. So, the question to you is this: who is it that makes YOUR world great?

Comments welcome here - I'd love to hear who your heroes are, and why. One rule: no spouses, no parents allowed, unless they have done something extraordinary, aside from your conception, or actually agreeing to marry you, that is...

:)

2 comments:

for what it's worth said...

I have been trying to think about a singular person that I admire. And I do admire a number of people; Mahatma Ghandi, Mother Teresa the usual.
But, I have to admit that I think my heroes are teachers. Good teachers. We have all had our share of lousy, putting in their time teachers, but I am talking about real teachers.
My mother was a real teacher. She invested herself into her job and into the lives of her students. She made sure that they were learning the things that they needed to, but moreover, she made sure that they learned the things that they wanted to.
I have had teachers in my life who did more than instruct. They inspired me. Given that I come from a family of over-achievers, it was hard to find my niche, my style, my place. My Grade 11 English teacher fostered a love of literature and writing in me. And although I didn't end up being a writer, I did end up being a teacher.
And now as a parent, I have seen teachers who do nothing but cover the curriculum, and those that want to make a difference.
There have been those that I have wanted to take out and shake, but there are those who reached out to my children and encouraged them through math, reading and all the social pitfalls of being a child. They are my heroes.
Monetary compensation is not near what it should be for good teachers. And I understand from various news shows that it is even worse in the States. People teach because they want to. Because they feel that they are capable of touching and enhancing a child's skill and their life. At least that is what I have always felt.
I teach in whatever form because I love children. Not everyone can say that, and not everyone should. I teach because I have a gift with disabled students. I teach because I want the best for every child. I teach because I love teaching...the good, the bad, and the ugly.
And moreover, I teach because, I have been inspired by another...teacher.

That One Guy said...

Interestingly, I've had about four other replies to this post, through my private email address, as opposed to public comment.

Teachers are mentioned more than once, and I would say that one or two go on the list as well:

http://meaningless-blather.blogspot.com/2006/02/gordon-r-brock-information-from.html