5.01.2006

Sting Concert at Tiger Woods Foundation Event - Las Vegas, Apr 29, 2006

About a year ago, maybe a little more, Sting came through Salt Lake on the Broken Music tour, and I chose at the time to not get tickets to that. My Bad. The pre-concert press/info was that this was primarily an acoustic set with only a few musicians. I decided that I didn't want to spend the money. What was I thinking?? The next morning, upon reading the review, I realized my folly.

So when I heard that Sting would be doing the Tiger Woods Foundation concert this year, I decided that I would need to get tickets for it. That was this past weekend.
Contrary to the other dates on the Broken Music tour, this show was a veritable tour de force through 90 minutes of the Police/Sting catalog. With songs going back all the way to the Ghosts In The Machine era, and one song from even before that, all the way up to music from the very most recent albums, this was a nostalgic trip for pure Police and Sting fans.

The line from the song "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" about Polititians who seem like game show hosts got a rousing cheer of derision from the crowd.
All in all, it was a great concert, and both Val and I remarked that for an old dude, he has some serious stamina and still has the ability to hit the notes, which he did remarkably well. I noted, from a sound perspective, that he was overloading his mic at a couple of points and it felt like he was yelling a bit, but with what was going on onstage, that was undertandable, the drummer was kicking the CRAP out of his drums, at one point knocking over a cymbal stand, hitting it so hard.

But, yes, a great concert, one that I am glad I didn't miss this time.

:)

No comments: