8.27.2007

I hate/love/hate/love golf


So, we went for 18 holes on Saturday. We walked the first nine, and rode for the last nine. We played the first nine in 2 hours, 15 minutes, but I played a LOVELY 8 over par for the first nine. Being Saturday, it was a busy day, and we were playing with a couple of faster players, so we decided to ride instead of walk for the last nine.

Our time for the second nine was almost exactly the same as the front, but what really surprised me was the fact that I still walked away from the day with an 82.

We showed up in enough time to hit some balls before we were due at the tee, but I couldn't find a good drive in my bag until the fifth hole, where I literally *pounded* my drive down the middle of the fairway. I'm pretty certain that nobody was more surprised than me. I had a couple of nice kick-in pars, and a chip-in par from off the green. I tried to reach both the longer par-fives, but managed to get there a grand total of zero times. The back nine was pretty much a long string of pars. Which doesn't suck, I guess.

Over the last week or so we've had the two youngest kids in golf lessons, and while they were doing that, we were over hitting balls at the range. I managed to find and fix a couple of errors in my swing, adding about 20 yards to my distance off the tee. I won't be actually counting that distance until I manage to find it while actually standing on a tee box. But I did find that I was dragging my hands through the hitting area, as opposed to a more active effort to turn over through the swing. This increases head speed without adding effort to the swing. I also felt like I wasn't making a conscious effort to keep my head down on the tee til after the ball leaves.

Interestingly, the last several times we've played with other people, they all mention that I have the easiest, quietest swing they have seen in a long time. I'm hoping that the time on the range will only increase that illusion. I guess we'll see.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

2 comments:

OneHungMan said...

Quiet is good.

Memphis said...

To me, 18 holes is a wild night at a strip club (or a police party in Bartlett), but then I never did look at things quite the same way as other people.